As I work towards completing my own game, I’ve been thinking a lot about finishing projects in general. I’ve noticed that there are a lot of talented developers out there that have trouble finishing games. Truthfully, I’ve left a long trail of unfinished games in my wake… I think everyone has. Not every project is going to pan out, for whatever reason. But if you find yourself consistently backing out of game projects that have a lot of potential, it could be worth taking a step back and examining why this happens.
We’ve all had that feeling about at least one game, comic book, movie, etc., that comes out: “Gee, I could do better than this! This is overrated.” But it’s important to take a step back and realize that, hey, they put in the time to finish a project and I haven’t. That’s at least one thing they might be better than me at, and it’s probably why they have the recognition I don’t! If you treat finishing like a skill, rather than simply a step in the process, you can acknowledge not only that it’s something you can get better at, but also what habits and thought processes get in your way.
I don’t believe that there’s a right way to make games. It’s a creative endeavor, so there are no hard and fast rules that can’t be broken at some point. But as a game developer who has discussed this problem with other game developers, I feel like there are some mental traps that we all fall into at some point, especially when we’re starting out. Being aware of these traps is a great first step towards finishing something. (Between you and me, codifying these ideas is partly my way of staying on top of them, too!)
So without further ado, here is a list of 15 tips for finishing a game:
And so it happened: somehow, I got tagged. Welp, here goes!
1. What do you think when a band/artist “sells out”? — I don’t know! It isn’t something I would do myself as a musician (or at least not consciously) but I don’t really have anything against it either. I used to hate mainstream media a couple years back… since, my views have changed quite a lot! After all music is music, mainstream or underground, it’s all the same! *flamewar incoming*
2. Any specific personality traits you would like to see in your life partner? — caring, creative, honest, fun, open-minded, shy, sensible, kind, understanding, weird, unusual… I don’t know! There’s so many adjectives, I can’t even think up of words. Someone I can rely on completely without fear, someone I can share every moment with, good or bad, and most importantly… someone that accepts me the way I am, and loves me for it~ c:
3. How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are? — I’m not sure! If I had to take a guess though, probably older. People say I look older than I really am for some reason. I’ve had a server serve me wine in a fancy restaurant once… that was awkward lol
4. You’re having lunch with three people you respect and admire. They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing she/he is your friend. The criticism is distasteful and unjustified. What do you do? — It depends! Depending on who and why they are criticized, I can either not react at all or start questioning the so-called “friends”… I never know in advance how I’m going to react… feelings! :c
5. How would you describe your father in four words? — caring, sometimes hot-headed but cool most of the time. Often gets into arguments to prove a point… but hey, he’s my dad. I owe him a lot! :3
6. If you were to change one thing about your physical appearance, what would it be? — Nothing! I look good~
7. If you were a book, what kind of book would you be? — Most likely an auto-biography. It’d relate every day of my life, as boring or interesting as it gets. It’d probably dissapoint the average reader, and would very likely never sell, but at least, it’d (hopefuly) be up on a shelf somewhere, and that’s good enough for me!
8. Do you look like any celebrities? — Maybe! Am I famous enough to be considered a celebrity? If not, I don’t know. I don’t really know or care about famous people all that much.
9. Would you place education as a top priority? — With a limit! Education is essential, but the most important thing is to learn what you want to learn, not what they want you to learn.
10. Would you willing to reduce your life expectancy by 10 years to be come extremely attractive or famous? — …what? No!
11. What is your greatest accomplishment so far? Or at least one of them? — Being able to talk to people with more ease. I used to be awkward. Like, REAAAAAALLY awkward… over the past few years things got slightly better and I’ve been able to communicate with the outside world. At least I’m not scared of going out for groceries anymore!
12. What is something you feel guilty about? — A lot of things. I feel guilty for worrying so much about literally EVERYTHING. And it makes me feel even worse… it can really get on my nerves sometimes.
13. If you could be any fictional character, who would you choose? — As a kid, I always thought I would be Jeremy from Code Lyoko. It’s an animated series made by a French company (that unfortunately shut down recently). It is my favorite show to date. Now that I look back, it’s a bit silly, but at the same time, it’s really cool. It did so many things right. Anyway, he is the dude that discovers a crazy supercomputer in an abandoned factory and manages to put it up and running again with his programming skills. There’s a virtual world and everything~ he’s really cool.
14. Do you like having children around you? — It depends on their personality. If they’re not too annoying, I’m completely fine with that!
15. Name three things you consider yourself very good at, and three things you consider yourself very bad at. — I’m pretty good at programming, music (I think??) and being myself (when nobody is around, when people are around, I just hide in a hole). I’m horrible at living, communicating, and singing. Trust me, you don’t want to hear me sing. I sound wrong even autotuned… yup, that’s how bad it gets.
16. What are some of your pet peeves? — Seeing someone type “google” into Google… why the hell do people do that!
17. If you learned a good friend had AIDS, would avoid them? What if your brother or sister had AIDS? — Why would I ever want to avoid them? I have very little friends, I’m not going to get away from them for something this silly! No way. I’d get closer instead, and try to help the best I can, even though I know I can’t do much.
18. If you could be an animal for a day, what animal would you be? — A house cat. Best. Life. Ever.
19. If you could eliminate one of your human needs, what would it be? — Probably sleep, although often, sleep is what allows me to just get out of depressive moments… breathing sounds like something I’d like to avoid too. Maybe just feelings, I’d probably be bland and dull but at least I wouldn’t worry about so many things. At the same time, I don’t want that kind of a boring life… so honestly I don’t know. Tough one!
20. Is there someone in your life you could tell everything to? — I doubt there ever will… I have so many deep dark secrets, some of which I can’t stand the thought of. If I did, it’d have to be someone I’m EXTREMELY very close to, and even so, there’s still so many things i feel like right now I couldn’t tell anyone… So no, not really, not at the moment anyway.
21. Do you have any siblings? If so, how many, and how close are you to them? — One younger brother. We are close, although we fight a lot. We share a lot of the same problems in life (unfortunately). Sometimes, he says he hates me. Our relationship is weird. I still think he cares a lot about me though.
22. How quickly do you forgive? — Again, depends. If it’s something meaningless, pretty quickly. If it’s something that gets to me very personally, it can take a while… it just depends on the situation.
23. Is it easy for you to wake up in the morning? — Definitely not. It’s more of a chore than anything.
24. What is your preferred love language? (touch/gift-giving/acts of service/words of affirmation/spending quality time) — everything~
25. What color underwear are you wearing right now? — I’m in pyjamas: it’s white with a blue checkerboard pattern. Does it really matter o_o;?
Now tag 3 (un)lucky people and let the torture commence!
Well… this is awkward. I’m so new on tumblr, I don’t really have anyone I think I can tag. I’d probably have tagged Dream Forecast, but she’s the one to have tagged me in the first place… welp!
Welcome to my blog! I probably won’t use this often, at all. But hey, it might get me into writing more. I’m mostly going to post on programming and music, and my thoughts on them :D
I might also reblog things I find particularly funny/interesting from time to time, but that’ll very likely be rare :P
Anyway, thanks for reading, and enjoy your stay~!